Thursday, March 6, 2008

Parenting Dilemma #2

As children grow, they reach certain milestones which allow them to become more independent. Between the ages of two and three, most children successfully go through potty training. For some, it is an easy and very painless transition. For others, the idea of using the "big boy potty" is very unsettling. They prefer to hang onto their diapers as long as possible. Our household falls into the latter of the two categories.

I always said that I would train the boys when they were ready. I really wasn't looking forward to the idea of training three at the same time, so I was hoping that they would just catch on and transition smoothly. Then, something happened... social stigma started to play a role. As we would head out into the community, I began to notice that all of the children the boys' age were now wearing big boy pants. I began to feel very self-conscious that I wasn't training my children the way society anticipated. Was I failing as a parent? The boys had shown no interest in using the toilet, and I didn't want to push them and inevitably cause problems later on.

I figured it was time to time to step up to the plate as a parent and get the job done once and for all. It was going to require some teamwork between Rob, the babysitter, and myself, but I was optimistic that the process would go easily. After all, they had transition from the bottle and pacifier with little resistance.

Things started out slow, but the boys started using the toilet when the babysitter was here. (Unfortunately she only works part-time, but I am seriously considering hiring her full-time until the boys are trained.) They were somewhat interested in the process since it was new, but for the most part they refused to use the toilet when Rob or I were home. It never failed that they would go in their diaper as soon as they got off of the toilet.

Where is super nanny when you need her?? I am seeking some advice here for I fear that if the boys are not trained soon they will go to kindergarten in diapers. :-( Feel free top leave some feedback in the comment section because I could really use it!!

Here is the look Mason gives me when I mention using the toilet!



Here is Spencer telling me that he "likes" his diaper!

No comments: